How To Maintain The Merbau Decking In Melbourne
Are you planning on building a new deck? So using Merbau for the decking purpose is the best choice you can make because Merbau is available in a range of lengths and widths for the decking, but Merbau is also highly durable and long-lasting hardwood.
Why maintain Merbau Decking?
- The unprotected Merbau decking turns greyish, and it starts to split and crack as weather, UV rays, and moisture are harsh on timber. The best solution to make Merbau decking look fantastic and as good as new is to keep the Merbau decking in maintained condition. By maintaining the Merbau decking, you are also protecting the investments of your deck.
Merbau is straightforward to work with as this wood is complex, making it popular and one of the best choices available in the market for decking purposes and it requires oiling every 12 months to maintain its looks.
How to oil your Merbau deck?
It is essential to oil your Merbau deck for three reasons:
Assemble the tools
The first thing to do before good oiling is good preparation, so for oiling your Merbau deck, you need a deck cleaner, deck oil, a paintbrush, an outdoor broom bucket, a deck oil applicator and your safety equipment.
Clean your deck
- Before oiling your Merbau deck, it is essential to remove everything from the deck and give it a good clean.
- Remember that We should clean the Merbau deck before applying your decking cleaner.
Prepare the cleaner and apply it.
- You have to use one part of the deck cleaner to four parts of water, try to mix it thoroughly and then apply it generously all over the timber with a brush, and then you have to leave it for 10 to 20 minutes.
Start the oiling
- After that, when your Merbau deck is clean and dry, you can start oiling; try to give the oil a delicious stir right down to the bottom and up; you can use a piece of stick for stirring; you have to make sure that it is consistent before pouring it into the bucket.
- Now when the oil is stirred correctly, you can start by going around the edges with a paintbrush just so that you will not get it onto any other surfaces.
- When applying your oil, go with the grain of the board, ensuring that you cover the whole board back and forth without stopping so that it does not cause patchiness.
So after you have finished applying your oil, let the decking oil do its job. And let it dry; this may take about two hours.
Time to apply the second oil coat
- Now that the first coat of oil is dry, it’s time to apply the second coat of oil.
- There is a thing to keep in mind that when you are doing the second coat of oiling on the deck, you have to ensure that you are not putting too much oil onto your boards because this may cause pooling.
- So when your second coat dries, that’s the time to style your Merbau decking Melbourne; you can start by putting everything back to its place in a systematic order.